My Account

Tip Time Tuesday—Designer Template Organization

tip_tuesday

I don’t know about you but keeping organized while scrapping is always a challenge of mine. I tend to become like a goldfish, growing into to whatever room I’m allowed. That’s not always fun when it comes time to clean up.

Hooray for a great Tip Time Tuesday today from Design Team member Staci Jones on making that clean up just a wee bit easier! This girl is a thinker!

• • • • •

Raise your hand if you have loved all the fun washi projects this month! I have loved seeing what everyone has created and I love Downtown Tape. I first heard about them on a local morning show and bought right away. I have so many of their tapes and think they are just wonderful. I was super excited to work with them for July. The only problem I had was choosing which ones to work with:

SIMG_6463

How do you choose, right? I didn’t want any of them feeling left out so I decided to use them all. This isn’t one of the typical Tip Time Tuesdays because I didn’t technically make anything with this months featured templates, but don’t worry this tip is with definitely help you use those templates!

One of the biggest struggles I have with the templates (and scrapping in general) is the cleanup. Mine ends up being a beautiful pile on my table:

SIMG_6464

I usually push the pile aside and deal with it later. (And by later I mean 4-5 projects later.) It is always quite the ordeal sorting them back to their respective rings when my scrapping time is so limited. Enter the wonderful Downtown Tape washi. With so many color options, I decided to use colors to separate the different template categories: ex. Green=Accessories, Blue+Tiny Accessories, Black/Grey= 12inch Borders. I tagged each piece in a template set with a small piece of washi, changing to a different style for the next set.

SIMG_6465

By tagging all the templates in a set, they are so easy to clean up!

SIMG_6467

Also, with all the templates tagged and knowing their categories, it is easier to know where the ones I am looking for are hanging and are quicker to grab.

SIMG_6468

Here is what they look like framed and ready to do a layout:

SIMG_6530

Thanks for joining me today! I hope this was helpful and I hope that you have enjoyed this month of wonderful washi tips and projects! See you next month!

• • • • •

It’s truly been a great month around here with Downtown Tape highlighting the blog posts this month. Tomorrow you will have one more chance to see the wonderful world of washi in action! If you aren’t already friends with Downtown Tape on Facebook, be sure to swing by and give them a huge hello!

19 Responses to Tip Time Tuesday—Designer Template Organization

1. ctmarinemom October 26, 2013 at 5:30 am #

Great idea, I am going to do this to my templates this weekend. Thank you for the wonderful idea!

2. Pam Wooddell September 22, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

The storage that works for me:buy an accordion file and ask Staples to cut it in half horizontally. Label to put 2 KLDT in each division. I sewed a 2″ strip of elastic into a circle and put several cute buttons on it. This holds it together.

3. Donna August 5, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Great idea! I organized my templates using the different colors of tape yesterday and I know I will save several minutes of clean up time each time I use them. Thanks for sharing!

4. Shirley August 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Great idea,.. I have everything
    I need to be able to do this except the hooks… where can I find them.

5. Debbie Van Horn August 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

What a fantastic idea. Now I need to get all of my templates tagged with Washi tape!

Still baffled on what sort of storage for the templates, especially when I go to a crop. Any thoughts, Thanks!

• dywhite August 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Staples (an office supply store) had 13″ x 5″ plastic ‘pencil’ boxes. A lot like the ones you buy at Target for elementary kids get for their pencil, markers, etc. except longer. My 12″ KL borders fit perfect.

• dywhite August 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

I meant Office Depot (not Staples)

6. njsheagley@yahoo.com July 31, 2013 at 6:43 am #

The tape identifiers is a great idea! I love it – I am making an 8X8 album and all my borders are “on the loose” but now I can easily spot their mates!!

7. Claire S July 30, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Love time saving ideas! Thanks.

8. Ivette Drumgool July 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

REALLY????? Ingenious ????? Off to the scrapbook room!!!!

9. Carrie McDaniel July 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

10. Sheri p July 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

such a simple solution to keeping the templates sorted…. gonna take care of mine now!

11. Carolyn Buckhorn July 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

I have mine on hooks too b/c it is so easy to see exactly what I want. This labeling idea is awesome and will help out so much . I am excited about this tip . Thanks for posting .

12. stephanie m. July 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

great idea! my SIL has some templates that i dont have.. and i have some templates that she does not have… so trying to clean up after a day of scrapping together is a pain ;) this is a great idea so we can see whos-is-whos quickly! (and this idea might just go beyond labeling templates! ;)

13. A. Rainey July 30, 2013 at 11:46 am #

This is so awesome! I might branch out and use this idea to organize my other craft supplies!!

14. Gail O. July 30, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Brilliant!!

15. Valerie July 30, 2013 at 9:21 am #

This is a really great idea. I have struggling with how to store these in a way that I can easily access them. Out of sight out of mind is my problem. I do not have a craft room and have to work on my dining table or coffee table. I have the whole collection and I can not hang them on their hooks b/c there is just TOO for 1 over the door hanging rack. Having them labeled like this will certainly make the clean up and sorting WAY easier. I can actually see incorporating this “thinking” in other crafty and non crafty things that need to be sorted. Thank you for sharing!

16. Lissa July 30, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Holy moly! This is an amazing idea. I’m totally doing this today. Thank you!

17. Cindy July 30, 2013 at 8:39 am #